The Silo Series was originally published in nine parts. The first book, WOOL, was released in July, 2011 as a short story. Four more parts followed, and these five stories were collected into a single novel, which went on to enjoy great success. WOOL told the story of Juliette, a mechanic in an underground silo who is given the job of sheriff. Juliette uncovers the mystery behind the underground world in which she lives. Following WOOL was the SHIFT series, told in three parts. Starting off as a prequel, SHIFT soon catches up to the events told in WOOL from a different perspective. The end of SHIFT and WOOL intersect, setting up the final chapter, DUST.
Be sure to read and follow the Content Guidelines while writing your story. Your story will be reviewed and will only be eligible for publication if the Content Guidelines are followed.
- Pornography: We don't accept pornography or offensive depictions of graphic sexual acts.
- Offensive Content: We don't accept offensive content, including but not limited to racial slurs, excessively graphic or violent material, or excessive use of foul language.
- Illegal and Infringing Content: We take violations of laws and proprietary rights very seriously. It is the authors' responsibility to ensure that their content doesn't violate laws or copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other rights.
- Poor Customer Experience: We don't accept books that provide a poor customer experience. Examples include poorly formatted books and books with misleading titles, cover art, or product descriptions. We reserve the right to determine whether content provides a poor customer experience.
- Excessive Use of Brands: We don't accept the excessive use of brand names or the inclusion of brand names for paid advertising or promotion.
- Crossover: No crossovers from other Worlds are permitted, meaning your work may not include elements of any copyright-protected book, movie, or other property outside of the elements of this World.
- Stories must be based on characters, scenes, events, themes and plots appearing in novels, novellas, and short stories featuring the Silo Saga (WOOL, SHIFT, and DUST) and authored by Hugh Howey. The World does not include characters, scenes, events, themes or plots that are unique to derivative works such as books, movies and television shows based on Hugh Howey’s novels, novellas, and short stories.
- Each silo can be unique.
- The original characters of WOOL, SHIFT, and DUST can feature in any story.
- The timeline can be subverted, and anyone killed or modified as the fan fiction author sees fit.
- Sex between characters is permitted. Homosexuality and explorations of gender identity are not frowned upon in the least.
- Other than that, the world is yours as you see fit to play in it.